Fog Light Mod

12K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  bangster 
#1 ·
Thanks to Ax0n at Focus Hacks.

Cost: Almost free
Time Required:Less than 5 min.
What you'll need:
A few inch of 12ga (or thicker) wire
Wire Stripper/Cutter/Crimper Combo tool (cheap at parts store if you don't own one)
2 Spade Lug Crimp Terminals (cheap at parts store)
Fuse/relay puller or some prying tool

1. Open your hood and locate the fuse box (Drivers' side near windshield)

2. Open fuse box and locate R13 according to the map on the fuse box cover

3. Pry, pull, or otherwise remove Relay #R13 from it's socket. It is in there tight but it comes out!

4. Cut a length of wire about 2 inches long. Strip the ends and crimp a spade lug to each end.

5. Push the lugs in to connect the two parallel sockets (not the 3 parallel ones).

6. ALL DONE! This modification might cause you to fail inspection if they check to see that fog lights are only on with your low beams and at no other time. I keep the relay in my glove box just in case.

#3 ·
Normally, the fogs only come on when the headlights are on. After the mod, they will come on with just the driving lights on.

#6 ·
The relay it bypasses is used to only turn on the fog lights when the headlights are on. So with this you can have just the parking lights on and the fog lights also on. They are not always on.

There is no corresponding wiring "hack" for the 2010-2012 Fusion because the relay and logic are built into the SJB.

#8 · (Edited)
SJB is the Smart Junction Box. You might call it the fuse box in the passenger area under the dash, but there is a lot more to it than simple power distribution. There are FETS, internal relays, logic for a lot of things (including similar to above, how the fog lights are only on with the headlights, and only on in low beam, for example).

I haven't checked with my 2012, but I think FORScan allows you to enable DRL, with the halogen headlights it uses the low beam at 50%.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.