FordFusionClub.com banner

Cancellation of Extended Warranty

12K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  black00betty 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I finally bit the bullet and bought a new 2015 Mazda3 sedan. Special thanks to the awesome people on this forum.

During the purchase, I was not fully prepared for the meeting with finance manager, and he managed to sell me 9Yr/100K extended warranty(called Mazda Extended Confidence) for $2.2K in that moment after talking about all bad things that could happen to cars. He also offered 5Yr Maintenance package for $1.6K which I refused.

I did some research after coming home, and realized that extended warranty is not worth it, and also it was through some 3rd party called Warrantech, which does not have good reviews.

Its just been 3 days, and now I wish to cancel the Warranty, so I have two questions:

1. What are the usual cancellation terms on Mazda extended warranty, can I get full refund?
  2. Since I have financed the Car, refund will be given to me or the financing company?
Thanks for help..

See less See more
#4 ·
Don't a lot of auto manufacturers offer free maint these days? Thing I noticed is the maint intervals for free maint seem very long,much longer than what people would normally do.

For example, for a majority of "car enthusiasts,"
3k oil intervals are considered a little too frequent, 5k considered the sweet spot and 7.5 considered good for extended intervals, these are all using top quality synthetic oils etc.

I notice that people I know with the free maint seem to have 10k intervals on cheap oil

I'm pretty sure the suckered you with the extended, not sure if you can get out but you can try.

#7 ·
I'm pretty sure the suckered you with the extended, not sure if you can get out but you can try.
when you cancel a 3rd party extended warranty, they typically write you a prorated check. You probably had the cost swept into the loan. The bank would rather you get that money and keep owing them more money.
Folks,
I visited the dealership to meet the Finance Manager, and he gladly accepted my request to cancel the extended warranty after submitting a cancellation form. Refund amount will be either given to me or the financing institution within 30 days.

Apparently, there is a 30 day period to cancel the warranty if not desired (in my case I cancelled within 3 days).
::happy::

#5 ·
Are you planning on adding mods or aftermarket parts? Most extended warranties have clauses excluding coverage with them. (I know people were talking about this recently in another thread). If really worried about car issues, throw a liitle bit of cash into a emergency repair coffee can fund every month.

#9 ·
Sorry for the late reply.

For me the free maintenance package wasn't worth it. I miss changing my own oil and doing my own maintenance. Plus that way I know it's done right.. I've heard horror stories of places changing oil but no filter etc.

Also, they recommend changes every 7,000 km or 6 months. Well I currently have 60,000 km on the car over 4 years so it's pretty low mileage and although I'm changing the oil early (before 5,000km/3k miles) I would much rather save money, do my own oil and use better full synthetic instead of the blend Ford uses.

Plus then I don't have to worry about some kid mucking up my interior with muddy/dirty boots, kicking my door etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.